Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting Shot!

Well, today was an interesting day!! Twice a week, I have to go to the hospital to get shots. You see, I am allergic to pretty much everything in nature. The list includes, trees, grasses, molds, dust-mites, dogs, cats, horses, birds, etc. and so forth. Yes, its super awesome and I know you are all jealous!




Anyway, so today, I went to go get my shots on my lunch break at work. I get the shots and sit in the waiting area, because I have to wait 20 minutes just in case I have a reaction... Just as my 20 minutes was almost over, I started itching all over. My arms, legs, head, everything started to itch! So I went to tell the nurses that I was itching, and let me tell you, the look they gave me was like they were looking at someone who just got hit by a car! The nurses, yes, all of them, started freaking out, asking me if my throat was closing up and things like that. All I was feeling was lots of itching, it sucked. So they started testing my blood pressure and my pulse and my breath, with this tool you blow a puff of air in, to make sure you can breathe.

They tested everything and then the nurse asked me if I had been sick recently. I hadn't been sick, but I threw up last night because I ate something that didn't agree with me. Sorry about the gross detail :) Anyway, the nurse FREAKED! She started going on about how I shouldn't have gotten my shots because I was sick. Well, I wasn't sick, I made myself throw up because I felt sick and it was going to come back up eventually. Apparently, even if you have a headache, you can't get shots, because your immune system is weakened, and to get the allergy shots, your immune system needs to be in pristine condition! I felt so bad, but all that anyone had told me was if I was sick. I assumed that meant if I had a cold or something not to go in, which I didn't. I was kind of upset that the nurse assumed that I knew everything. She made an ass out of u and me(well, her and I, but it didn't work sounding like that!)

The doctor came in and then proceeded to tell me that I would have to wait for at least 45 minutes so that they could keep an eye on me. Keep in mind, I'm on my lunch break, and so I had to call and tell the girl that was covering my lunch that I would be late, I felt so bad! After waiting about 10 minutes, the doctor and a nurse came in. They checked everything, my breathing was a little weak, and I was itching and shaking like crazy. So the doctor told the nurse to give me a shot of something that would stop my allergic reaction. I was told that it would make my heart race, and it did!! They also gave me two Benadryls to help as well. So I'm sitting here, shaking even more now, becasue this medicine has gotten my heart racing like crazy, and I'm kinda freaking out, getting really anxious. Seriously, that medicine was weird!

One of the last times, the nurse comes in and tells me my reaction wasn't as bad, and I need to relax, because my arms were starting to feel stiff and I was still shaking. It was really hard, but I sat there for a couple minutes and just did deep breaths. It worked after a while, but it was super hard to calm myself down(that shot made me CRAZY!)

Finally, the doctor came back in and checked my heart and breathing and said everything sounded fine, but she reduced me coming in to once a week, and I have to go down a lot in doseage. I am actually required to have Benadryl on my person at all times, I just keep it in my purse, but still!

Let me just tell you, when I got back to work, I was so worn out and tired, the Benadryl was starting to take effect, after my heart was done being crazy and making me crazy, it was like I shut down. Haha seriously, I was too tired to stand, it drained me, but if I sat down, I would almost fall asleep!! I'm feeling a lot better now, but I'm still pretty drained physically. In fact, I think I need to take another Benadryl, I'm starting to itch again.

Well, thats the drama of what happened today!! It was super intense, I know you are all jealous ;)

Song of the Day: Tickle Me Pink, We Still Dance. I LOVE that song!! Seriously, the chorus is stuck in my head all the time, its super awesome. The band is really fun and creative. Listen to this song and the artist!! I also like the songs Madeline and Tomorrow's Ending :)


P.S. This picture is awesome!!

No comments: